The Seven Seas.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Day Three: Learning to Be

Two blog posts in a day! 

Watch it Wednesday is all about discovering new stories and watching interesting developments in pop culture. A long standing tradition coined by my eleventh grade English teacher, Edwards. A lot of the time WiW was anime because that was the stuff that Edwards didn't really have time for. Occasionally we'd also branch into dramas and movies. Today I thought that continuing the legacy would be apropos.

Today we're talking academia.

While dredging through Hulu I stumbled upon a show called My Hero Academia. I didn't think much of it, other than I had seen quite a few people rave about it. I hadn't watched anime in about two to three months, the last show being a shojo anime. (READ: For those who aren't regular consumers of Japanese animation, Shojo is a genre of anime that is typically characterized by heavy romance and lots of sparkles). My Hero Academia wasn't really on my radar but lucky me The Boyfriend wanted to watch it. I'm nothing if not compliant, so into the depths of shonen anime I went (READ: Shonen anime is the opposite of shojo anime, typically characterized by long battle scenes and violence).

Thank goodness I'm compliant because this show is a gem. The characters are hilarious, Deku and his childhood best friend turned worst bully Kaachan are amazing foils to each other. All-Might is the all mighty (pun intended) pro hero who Deku idolizes, his sardonic and kind 'weak' side is amazing! I love that this show is very aware of its genre and audience but still manages to take huge risks like making Deku a crybaby. There is an overall tone of hopefulness that never leaves. As well as a really interesting narration by Deku as if the show were a flashback. 

Character and story aside, this show is visually stunning! The color and consistency are really fun, I also love small attentions to detail like All-Mights clothes getting bigger between forms and the hero's costumes being destroyed over time. The setting and music do a lot for this anime, nothing like Your Lie In April, but still fun and high energy making you more invested in the action. Another really cool thing is the interesting visuals for hero's quirks or powers, each character looks incredibly unique making background characters really stand out.

The first season is 13 episodes and the second is still ongoing. I'm really stoked for this anime and will happily continue as a fan. My Hero Academia is a great starter anime or a vet's new favorite. I am confident who ever watches this will be filled with a youthful vigor and feel a rush to fulfill their dreams. 

My Hero Academia earns 5/5 stars from me. 

What are you watching these days? Have you ever watched anime? What's your go to encouragement show?
\\.Jukebox.//

2 comments:

  1. Happy to see you back in the saddle. Happier to note that I'm still subscribed. Perhaps I should take a page from you and jump start my own languishing blog.

    My Hero Academia was actually a WiW title Brian clued me in on last year. Would you say it was good enough to make the regular elective roster? Enough in it for good Harknesses or just a fun watch for otaku?

    Also, to answer your question: I'm not watching anime but am binge watching Firefly all over again. Was looking into Killjoys because folks say it's reminiscent of Firefly and I know I'm gonna go through withdrawals after the mere 14 eps of the latter are done.

    Or maybe I ought to just binge Buffy instead.

    Joss Whedon is my god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely think there is so much to talk about with MHA it has outstanding characters, really interesting story, and it defies a lot of stereotypes.

      I've seen a few episodes of Killjoys, I wasn't too thrilled with it. I don't think I gave it due credit though, so I might give it another shot.

      I'm very happy to note you're still subscribed as well <3

      Delete