The Seven Seas.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day Two: Sports Anime Phenomena


From Free! to shining Free! Eternal Summer I am obsessed with sports anime.

          As far as I can tell, the first sports anime I ever watched was Prince Of Tennis back when I was six. I don't remember much about the show (which should be no surprise because I hardly remember what I ate for breakfast) I really enjoyed Prince Of Tennis. It should then come as no surprise that 11 years later when I binge watched all of Haikyuu! (more commonly known as Volleyball Anime) I would enjoy it too.
          The funny thing is, I hate sports. I don't like running, I hate being sweaty, and I think sports games are boring. Who wants to sit in the heat for an hour to watch a bunch of dudes run around each other? Despite all this, I love sports anime. Anime like Haikyuu! keep me on the edge of my seat and I actually feel anxious. I want them to win. It's not just about the characters or their lives. I want Karasuno to kick ass and be able to make it to Tokyo. 
                  Sports anime give me a newer understanding of the sport and characters who love it more than anything. In honor of that, I give you;
5) Prince Of Tennis (Tennis Anime)
Image result for prince of tennis chibi
       This is a classic. Started in 1999 ended in 2008. Prince Of Tennis has a fun vintage feel while not seeming too cheesy. The characters are lovable, and the bonds they make together will make your heart feel warm and fuzzy.
4) Suzuka (Track Anime)
       Another well loved classic. This sports anime is all about love. A really cheesy, short show to pull you into the sports anime cult. With a character driven plot, wacky antics, and a manic pixie dream girl long jumper. There is no way to go wrong.
3) Kuroko No Basuke (Basketball Anime)
Image result for kuroko no basuke kuroko     The Basketball That Kuroko Plays. That's the American title of this anime, and such an injustice. This anime is so crammed full of feels I had to take a break from it to retain my sanity. The story follows five kids who got the nickname "The Generation of Miracles." and their Phantom Sixth man (that's Kuroko.) I'm not going to talk about this one as much, because we could get into spoiler territory very easy. It's a fun show that makes you feel for the characters and feel for the team. FOR THE BASKETBALL.

2) Free! (Swimming Anime)
Image result for free swimming characters          This anime has made me cry twice. Should I have been crying? No. But you'll love the characters so much, that when they talk about their back stories your kokoro will be dokidoki-ing for months. It's a newer anime, so the colors are rich, the animation is great, and the boys are pretty. It's very fanservice heavy, but it's so good. There are 22 episodes per seasons and two seasons to watch. Then I highly recommend watching the abridged version 50% Off.
1) Haikyuu! (Volleyball Anime)
          I wont waste your time, I love this anime so much. It's the anime that brought me back to anime. It makes me cry on a regular basis. I think about the characters during my everyday life. I love this anime. From the characters to the animation this show has it all. You will fall in love with the Tiny 10, and if you don't there will be a character you will. It's about the team, it's about the year threes, it's about the heart break. Watch this anime. There are twenty-five episodes. The story continues in the manga. Watch this anime.



That concludes today's post! Hope you're liking the first week of activity. If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know! (Maybe even tell me if you have a favorite post!)
Have fun and Happy Watching!
\\.Jukebox.//
A Sports Anime OST playlist.
\\.Soapbox.//
“Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world that exists outside ourselves and our dreams.” 
― Hiromu ArakawaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment